Did you know that ... you make better decisions when your bladder is full?

Today, in the last episode of "The Big Bang Theory" 7x19 "The Indecision Amalgamation", I learnt something really interesting.
Just at the beginning of the episode, we see Sheldon in front of his computer and deciding to buy either an XBOX-ONE or a PlayStation 4 but being also in the compelling need to pee.
Here is the dialog between Sheldon and Leonard:

Sheldon:  Boy, do I have to urinate.

Leonard:  If only there were a solution to that.

Sheldon: Seriously. I feel like I've got a fish tank in my pelvis.

Leonard: So go to the bathroom.

Sheldon:I can't.

Leonard: Why not?

Sheldon: Because I'm trying to decide between getting an Xbox One or a PS4.
Oh, "pee." Why'd I say that?

Leonard: Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but why are you being stupid?

Sheldon: I'm not being stupid. I'm employing the work of Dutch researcher, Mirjam Tuk,
who found that people with full bladders make better decisions.

Leonard:  Why did I pee before I decided to move in here?


The sketch is funny, but, as for other quotes in seriers TBBT, what Sheldon says is true. Or, at least, it's true there is such a study (from 2011) with such a conclusion (see after)!

I refer you to the article Full Bladder, Better Decisions? Controlling Your Bladder Decreases Impulsive Choices available on www.psychologicalscience.org. Here is an interesting extract:

“You seem to make better decisions when you have a full bladder,” Tuk says. So maybe you should drink a bottle of water before making a decision about your stock portfolio, for example. Or perhaps stores that count on impulse buys should keep a bathroom available to customers, since they might be more willing to go for the television with a bigger screen when they have an empty bladder.


Here is the original paper by M. Tuk and Co-workers->  http://pss.sagepub.com/content/22/5/627.short

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Library.nu alternatives

Where to get research papers for free

Italian Words in How I Met Your Mother