Saturday, April 5, 2014

Did you know that ... you make better decisions when your bladder is full?

Today, in the last episode of "The Big Bang Theory" 7x19 "The Indecision Amalgamation", I learnt something really interesting.
Just at the beginning of the episode, we see Sheldon in front of his computer and deciding to buy either an XBOX-ONE or a PlayStation 4 but being also in the compelling need to pee.
Here is the dialog between Sheldon and Leonard:

Sheldon:  Boy, do I have to urinate.

Leonard:  If only there were a solution to that.

Sheldon: Seriously. I feel like I've got a fish tank in my pelvis.

Leonard: So go to the bathroom.

Sheldon:I can't.

Leonard: Why not?

Sheldon: Because I'm trying to decide between getting an Xbox One or a PS4.
Oh, "pee." Why'd I say that?

Leonard: Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but why are you being stupid?

Sheldon: I'm not being stupid. I'm employing the work of Dutch researcher, Mirjam Tuk,
who found that people with full bladders make better decisions.

Leonard:  Why did I pee before I decided to move in here?


The sketch is funny, but, as for other quotes in seriers TBBT, what Sheldon says is true. Or, at least, it's true there is such a study (from 2011) with such a conclusion (see after)!

I refer you to the article Full Bladder, Better Decisions? Controlling Your Bladder Decreases Impulsive Choices available on www.psychologicalscience.org. Here is an interesting extract:

“You seem to make better decisions when you have a full bladder,” Tuk says. So maybe you should drink a bottle of water before making a decision about your stock portfolio, for example. Or perhaps stores that count on impulse buys should keep a bathroom available to customers, since they might be more willing to go for the television with a bigger screen when they have an empty bladder.


Here is the original paper by M. Tuk and Co-workers->  http://pss.sagepub.com/content/22/5/627.short

No comments: